Friday, September 4, 2009

Friday Freezer

TGIF before the holiday! May it be long, warm, dry, and did I mention long?

Editing

Edited 5 chapter of Unwilling Fringe since last weekend. Also cut 30,000 words and added 2,000 after that. My best hopes for today is to add another 2,000 words and/or finish the chapter.

Part of the problem I'm coming up against is this feeling that to stay close to the YA genre, I need to tighten up the plot considerably. I have too many lapses where I'm doing too much character building and not enough action. That must change when I get to the next draft.

Book Recommendation

Nothing as of yet. I'm reading Blue Moon and am quite a bit dissatisfied with it, and conflicted. It starts off with Ever and the guy (I'm drawing a blank, because it's early and my memory switch hasn't clicked on yet) are practicing in her bedroom. This leads to serious making out which Ever aborts, because she's feeling weird about his vast experience. That isn't the part that bothers me, exactly. What kinda made me wrinkle my nose right off was the description of the beyoooootiful guy.

Two things -

1.) Guys aren't beautiful at least not after they transition from crawling to walking. It's too feminine a word for most guys - even the good looking ones. When a male character is described as beautiful, it instantly gets my nose wrinkling and has me edging back in distaste. Reminds me of those animes with the bishies (think, anime guys who look like women).

2.) This goes back to my other problem with romances like Twilight. If the girl gets the guy too easily, and there is no conflict or uncertainty in the relationship, then it gets a little blah and page-flippy for me. Now, I've only read the first few pages of Blue Moon, so it could be I'm speaking too soon. I think the conflict in Blue Moon is the fact that Ever has a problem being all lovey-dovey with an old guy who's been around - much. Not a conflict I'm very interested in as a reader, but it might get better. I shall find out on lunch break. Well. Maybe.

Blood Promise Recap and Obsessing

I'm still thinking about this book, 2 days after reading. Just a couple things sticking to my mind.

There had been a emphasis on Rose and Dimitri not 'getting together' while he held her prisoner. They did everything else but. Rose assumed it was Dimitri holding it out like a carrot, sort of like, "Let me turn you, and then we will [bleep]."

What I'm wondering though is if there is more to it. Like maybe becoming Stringoi rendered him impotent. Could be. :]

Other thing that I wanted to look up when I had a chance. What exactly is the difference between a Stringoi and a Morai? Are Stringois zombies to evil? Or what?

I anticipate in the next two books - even though I'm totally Team Adrian: Dimitri is going to be cured. That may or may not happen in the next book - personally speaking, I think Mr. Creepfest makes an excellent villain, especially since Rose handily got rid of his competition and he now runs the Stringoi Party.

You'd think the easiest way to cure him is to kill him and then bring him back from the dead ala Lissa. The problem with that is he would probably be brought back as he was - a dhampir. That would not work out in the long run, because he and Rose wouldn't be capable of having kidlets.

If he is cured though, he might remain a vampire. But minus the evil-obsessed weirdness.

I'm just thinking aloud though - it could be cure or kill/revive would have the same result: Dimitri turned back into what he had been, a dhampir.

Personal Note of the Day

I'm peeved. Instead of visiting the gym, I need to go somewhere in search of new shoes. Just discovered that the sandals I'm wearing - my favorite pair - are torn. Torn. Noticeably. And I just noticed - three hours after putting them on.

I apparently just woke up.

PS. Why does Stringoi always make me think about food (and possibly Pinocchio), as in 'stromboli' ?

PS2. I really hope I spelled Stringoi and Morai right. I'm having doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Label Cloud

hit counter